I would describe the American Dream now as the image or vision to improve quality of life and become more prosperous, just the same as when it first came about. What has changed since then is mainly the details of the dream, such as what the job may include or what is being gained that is considered wealth. Today, the American Dream consists of holding a prestigious job or a profession of fame, possessing lots of monetary wealth and hanging out with A-listers. At least this is the impression I get. However, it is different for everyone based on what their upbringing is like. What they're exposed to. What their tastes or preferences are.
Personally, I don't have a specific definition for wealth as it seems to change a lot, or be many factors that when put together form wealth for me. Obviously money is one of those factors because anyone who knows me knows that I love fancy sports cars and houses and suits. I'm not just materialistic though. One of the things that I consider to be the greatest form of wealth is experience through travel. I only know it to be wealth because I have had the opportunity to experience it, but the things you do and see and hear and learn are invaluable and could never be taught in a classroom. This is something not much considered in the American dream due to its materialistic nature. Largely a cultural thing, but poverty is often looked down upon and deemed the least desirable, while wealth is respectable and allows for upward movement in socio-economic class due to the cultural values in America.
No comments:
Post a Comment